July 4, 2011

Red, White & Birds!

Once upon a time I saw these birdies...and they were cute.
But not so cute that I wanted to spend $22 for the 4 of them...
$22 is a whole lotta Del Taco, let me tell you! So, I saved the
picture {I don't even know from whence it came...ACK!} and
continued on my way...visions of birdies still in my head...
and $22 dollars still in my pocket!



Then I found these guys at The 99¢ Store...oh happy day!
{along with 99¢ Cheetos, 99¢ sour gummy worms and this
3-pak of tacos that are truly the quintessential junk food...I
have not idea what they are made of...nor do I want to know! ;}
But seriously...they are nearly identical...wow! And I got 3
for 99¢ x 3, plus tax...I'm thinking I scored...a hat trick, no
less!
And yet, I knew they'd need a little something before I'd
adore them...brown and tan and glazy is just not my thing!




Then I saw these guys...
pitter patter...Bradycardia...
charged to 300...clear!

{sorry, this shot and the next flatly refuse to be big!}




They are from The Country House , a little known
catalog that I have never ordered from, yet do enjoy perusing. Now,
these guys are made of resin but have the very same feet...and I do
like their whiteness...but how to translate that to my shiny, glazy
little tweeters!?




GESSO! What real artists use to prime their canvases...canvi...?
And what I have always used to cover a multitude of sins and
imperfections! Pity that "gesso" doesn't make a cosmetics line! ;}
I love to use it to give a new frame that vintage look instantly, too!




It took two coats...and gesso takes a day to dry between coats...
but all in all...I am happy as lark with their new look!





And since tomorrow is the 4th of July...I knew these birdie guys
would want to get in on all the celebrating! So, like any lunatic would
do...I made them party hats! You, know...the kind of lunatics we come
from...who would tell the king just exactly where he can put those
red coats and I'll thank you very much not to tax my tea! ;}





Vintage postcards used to make these wee hats courtesy of The Graphics Fairy , of course!




Yes, I said hats!

Don't they look like they are ready for a hot dog, baked beans,
potato salad, homemade ice cream {Rolaids} and some sparklers!!??




Actually, they look like they are up to no good...insider trading
perhaps...hostile take over...Bilderberg Group, hmmm....


So, here's wishing you an INDEPENDENCE DAY that is ALL
sparklers & and apple pie...and bird's in party hats! ;}


Sat Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage
Tuesday To Do Party @ The Blackberry Vine
Brag Monday @ The Graphics Fairy
Mosaic Monday @ Mary's Little Red House
Met Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Not So Simple Housewife Independence Party
Sunday Showcase @ Under The Table And Dreaming




43 comments:

  1. Great job! And don't 'cha just love the dollar stores? (Until we remember they used to be the five and dimes.) I dearly love the little hats, too. Just sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! I always smile when I visit. I love your little birds and their party hats! Perfect! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your birds turned out gorgeous. Love their little hats also. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Most Sparkly One! I've not been around in a bit and look what you're up to! Fun fun fun and cute cute cute! Love your very reasonably priced birdies! They look adorable painted white, well, gessoed! and the hats! Now only you would think of making these sparkly little birdie hats! Too cute.
    Have a wonderful 4th.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love their little hats! Gesso? Wow. You're a clever one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a real bargain hunter. And you made it happen. Who would have thought of gesso? Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sweet little birds!! I haven't seen any of these cuties in the dollar type stores we have but am going to keep my eyes out for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes...another crazy woman hits the 99cent store! I love their hats...but what? No mini sparklers to hold in their little white "feet/hands"? Pity..and now I ask you...can they SEE with all the gesso in their eyes? I do believe that Joan Rivers has been using some of the gesso on top of her plastic surgeried face...

    Have a happy 4th- I know you will! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute...I saw those birds at the Dollar Tree. They are adorable with the hats!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable party hats for your transformed birdies! So cute.
    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the little birds...the pictures are so artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, I AM a painter and i use gesso all the time,, i never once thought of using it for anything else,, you are so clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like what you did with the little birds - but I especially like how you dressed them for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ha ha i love those little birdie hats how cute are they ;-)) They are turned out really nice in white you are clever. Happy 4th July to you, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the party hats! Now I must make a trip to the 99 cent only store. Too bad it is 1am and the store isn't open. Drats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the bargin birds...lol. And what did you say???????? Cosmetic gesso.... oh dear oh my... i am on my way to the mall to find some gesso to fix my aging face...LOL... now that really made me laugh out loud literally=)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful birds images. Cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love their little hats! I love when it all works together and "waiting" brings rewards.
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww...they are so cute!! and yet they do look up to something....Gesso is just the most amazing stuff. I hope you made yourself a matching party hat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh gosh I'm laughing. When you said you had to do a little work on them my mind went right to Glitter. Boy was I wrong. Like the reasult though and there is glitter in the hats.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a simply PERFECT transformation. I had no idea Gesso would stick to glass so will absolutely be doing a little experimenting with that. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job with the birds. Happy 4th of July to you!

    I think gesso for the face would be fantastic - but could we smile? Would it crack?

    ReplyDelete
  23. You never fail to give a laugh. Great post, cute birdies. Have a great Independence Day:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too cute and you are very creative! I love those party hats - you can't not smile at that. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Clev-er !!! What a great idea. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE the fact that you got all those goodies for so CHEEP! Birds kinda do it for me too! Enjoyed the post,the little birds are real patriots!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  27. Clever! Brilliant! Ingenous! Just the BEST!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loved what you did with those sweet little birds...even before I got to the end and they were wearing those fabulous party hats!!! ADORABLE!!! How fun are you?!?!
    If you get a chance, I'd love for you to share your little birds at the Tuesday To Do Party!

    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/07/tuesday-to-do-17-and-16-list-makers.html

    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  29. love your sweet little birds. I've been collecting little birds over the past year or so. Yours turned out so great.
    Hoping your 4th was fun. Hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ok - WAY cute! I have the birds - I have gesso - and I have the plates, too! YEAH! All I need now are the little party hats! LOVe It!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good heavens, Your blog always makes my heart smile..... I LOVE the way your brain works xx Ava

    ReplyDelete
  32. You definitely get the shopper of the day award. I think a little bird added to any vignette is just perfect, and who can resist birds in party hats? May I ask where you got the precious red polka dot plates? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This post reminded me of the Portlandia skit/video (Google it if you haven't!) about hipsters in Portland called "Put a bird on it." LOVE ME SOME BIRD DECORATIONS!

    <3 Maddie
    http://www.spidatter.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hurray! wow, that was a great job you did on those adorable birdies. They are so sweet and if you hear a little noise at night while asleep it just might be the birdies going tweet, tweet saying thank you for making them look so cheery.
    Hugs...Lu

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love it! The look great and were cheeeep! LOL! Couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOL for the hats on the birds! Inspired!

    http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2011/07/schumann-bavaria-china.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Those birds look absolutely adorable in the hats! Too cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Don't you just love it when a plan falls together!! Your birds are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love what you did with the birds! If it were me I still would have spent $22 I would have reasoned that sincethey were a bargin I would buy 22 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the birds! Nobody would guess they came from a dollar store.
    The hats made me grin, and feel a little bit more sane :D So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you so much for linking this up! I love it! So cute! Perfect for my first blog party celebrating the 4th of July!

    I'm hosting my first ever weekly blog party and it starts today! It is called {re}create into something new! So please link up anything that you have reinvented, repurposed, recycled, revamped, reused, reorganized or redone! http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/2011/07/recreate-into-something-new-blog-party.html

    Thanks again!
    Kaitlin--The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. oh my word,... party hats! I tend to collect white birds (or birds that I paint white) but had never thought of that little flourish... i'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete

love to hear from you! ;}