March 6, 2011

Etsy House...New On PBS!

So, one of my nieces has just moved into her own apartment.
She has lived on her own for years...but never alone...on her
own! That's hard to do out here...roommates are pretty much
a must!
But she has finally done it and we are now in the process of
"design on a dime"-ing it! Ok, maybe "design on a dollar"...
but not much more than that.
Her mantra is "all about Etsy style"...although I don't 100%
embrace all things Etsy...I do have 99 items in my cart at
present...so, I "get" what she's aiming for! ;}



I have had these plates for probably 10 years...I knew I'd need
them one day! They weigh a ton, so they were surely "restaurant" ware...
and if need be she can fend off an attacker with one of these babies!!




Because I am always thinking...I had just the right sized saucer to use
as a template! Thank you Home Goods {an my greed! ;}




I glued the sheet music down with some really nasty lumpy glue...
note to self...get new glue!!! And tried with all my might to press
out the bubbles and blobs! ACK!





Passable...
{that always makes people feel special, huh? She won't read this
anyway...I don't rate next to Apartment Therapy! ;}





Cut out my "J is for Jenny"!
{Maybe I should have used "P" for Pookie?}





I decided I wanted a shiny look instead of matte, so I brushed on a
layer of this Italian glue for that effect...and to make it more
cosmopolitan...since Jen has been to Italy, I thought she'd
feel the amoré... ;}




...easy peasy...




Added my little "J"...





OK, department stores won't be beating down my door begging me
to let them sell these any time soon...
it's just a bit of personalized Etsy-esque fun for Jen's new "diggs"!

How To's Day @ The Lettered Cottage
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Transformation Thursday @ Shabby Chic Cottage
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage



38 comments:

  1. Neat idea! And everyone loves things that are monogrammed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea! I like it! Wishing you well! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely creative gift.

    I am spoiled as I have a home goods just a mile from my house.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute and THRIFTY idea...hop over and share it at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope to see ya there:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet. I love the shape of those plates--perfect for the sheet music and the "J". Very nice and I'm sure she will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great idea, sumple but effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the etsyfied adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea!..your niece is lucky!....Love your sisters cabinet & your herding cat video!
    Also love your peonie entry...and I must admit I like your thoughts on why we have them here!...I do believe I will remember that in a few months when the rain & snow & just cold days are replaced with a bit warmer days ..not O.C. warm but nevertheless, warm enough that we have those stunning flowers in our gardens, grocery stores and numerous plant stands along the road sides...They are beautiful!
    Thanks for reminding me ...spring is almost here and summer soon to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is darling and I'm sure she will love it. What an exciting adventure moving on your own the first time...I remember that time in my life well. Fun and yet a bit scary too. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love anything with sheet music so this project of yours really spoke to me. Of couse the letter "J" helped to, lol.
    Jane T.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tres chic!! I love it... not too hard to do but the outcome is fabulous!! Thanks for the wonderful idea. I love wandering though Etsy and looking at "things". What a great place to get lost in!

    Big hugs from a cold Ohioan, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great project! Very creative, she'll love it! My daughter is a J, you can always send it here, we'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. Have you seen the lace mod podged on plates? It looks wonderful hanging on the wall. I love your blog. I haven't stopped by in awhile I need to get over here everyday I have been missing lots!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. very clever and oh so pottery barn-looking! TFS! )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Neat idea! Your niece will love it!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your easy peasy... cuse in my world it would end up mayhem!
    Absolutely beautiful though!
    Smiles~
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen has one awesome auntie! She will love this!
    I think J is a lovely letter, don't you?
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet gift! I love monograms, I will keep this in mind for my daughter's apartment (She is a senior this year.)
    Thanks for inspiring me today!
    ~Danylle

    ReplyDelete
  19. great idea!!!!!!!!!!!
    lovely posts!
    Happy week,
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea and so modern with the music and the lettering. What a great gift for her. She will love it. I wouldn't mind a whole set for a tablescape! MMMMM.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so sweet, what a friend, she will adore this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny blog title! And I love your new word ~ etsy-esque! Now, please come up with 364 more new words as I visit you each day anyway!

    Jenny should absolutely love the new J PLate!!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that is just cute! Wouldn't that be a cute music teacher gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a cool idea, AUNTIE M!

    i chuckled seeing the syracuse china. i was actually there YEARS ago, long before i could appreciate such a place. LOL

    xo
    elyse

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's precious..Love it.
    I am liking anything with sheet music lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Way cool! I love it!
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Too cute for words - i absolutely love these! What a great aunt to help her decorate her first place! xoox
    ~tracie

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea. Love it!
    ShawNa~

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, these are fabulous. I am a fan and a follower;-) Hope o see you at My Dream Canvas

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think your plate is great. Its funny that you have a Jenny that is also a "Pookie". My Jenny was Pookie Bear when she was little. Funny! Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. love it! Fantastic job! even with using crappy glue! Very etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The plate is beautiful! I found your blog at Between Naps on the Front Porch. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
    Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just read the post about your sister's china cabinet and I am in love! We just installed white kitchen cabinets with glass doors and I was so inspired by the photo that I now know exactly what I am going to do with all of my pink teacups!

    ReplyDelete
  34. reading through some of your posts - just found this one. excellent idea... thanks!
    xo,
    marcelle

    ReplyDelete

love to hear from you! ;}