February 21, 2010

Not Quite Over It!


As per usual...I just can't let any holiday go...so, I am still making Valentine's treats...I bought a not-so-fabulous red candy box at the 99 Cent Store (where else?) and added a few touches. After all, who says "hearts" are just for Valentine's any more!

Be sure to stop by Mary's for more MOSAIC MONDAY



I saw the adorable transformation that Analise did @ Sugar~Sugar and I just happened to have a few tacky heart-shaped boxes on hand...



...now my box didn't have a "running board" like the usual candy box does, so I had to create one...




I couldn't cover the edge with sheet music since the pages I have are too thick and not at all pliable, so I opted for a bit of crepe...



...then added a bit of pink paper cover the edges and create the bottom.




Since my box had a flocked designs on it, I decided to experiment a little so I painted it white...



...and added some glitter for an embossed look...I know it's hard to see, but it looks pretty neat in "real life"...




...now for the "fringe"on the bottom...I probably used the wrong technique, but this took for-ev-er! But it came out real purdy, so, it was worth it!




So, I glued the glittery bottom to my piece of "fringed" cardboard...




Now for the lid...I took the easy way out and used ribbon...two ribbons, just to add a bit of "flair"...



I happened to have this pre-sewn crepe paper, so again, as an experiment, I used it to see if it would make the "fringing" process just a tad easier...and it did! It looks fine, but I still think the other way gave me a nicer look...so it all depends on how much effort you want to put in. The proto is always a pain...when I make another it will be cake.





...so, then this is one view of the lid...





...and I flipped it over to add a pretty piece of paper! I love DENA !




OK...put it all together and what have you got? Layers of lovely!




Then "pretty-up" the lid, tulle, ribbons, vintage millinery...and there you go! That's one pretty little pretty! {can I say that about something I made myself? ;}

I'd like to get that from someone...would you?


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special




Photobucket

38 comments:

  1. Why stop?! Keep those gorgeous Valentines coming, I say! Love what you did what the heart box--beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think hearts are good anytime of the year...I kept my falling hearts on my blog. This is beautiful, did you make the flower

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I love it! i too am still working on my Valentine box I never got to before!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it....it is just gorgeous. I say hearts should stay out year round!
    xxoo Valarie

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's lovely...i bought some trims to make myself a valentine box...of course i dawdled around about it...and all the chocolate boxes at the store were gone when i tried to buy one after valentines day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I am still making things with hearts too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree hearts are for all year long!!~

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so pretty. I love the tiny flower print on the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hearts are great any time of year! And Mother's Day is coming up. :) The box would make a lovely gift.
    Theresa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look sooo cute! I love hearts ALL YEAR ROUND :) Thanks for visiting our blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree - hearts are for year round! That rose is gorgeous!

    Hope you'll drop by AtticMag this week to see my home on tour,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful, who doesn't love hearts all year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute and you are right...no, I really do mean it! That is beyond cute...it's...darling! :)

    How on earth do people think up things like that...it's amazing! I have to buy all my goodies and even then I am seldom pleased!
    (sigh...)

    LOVE it!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tutorial for this absolutely beautiful little box. I am visiting Florida later this year and hope there is a 99c store?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous heart box! You're so talented and creative! Great tutorial!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet! The layers really make it! Well, I'm already moving on to easter but you enjoy V- day as long as you want to-K?! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there! This is the first time I've read your blog (saw it on The romantic home) and I love your valentine box! Valentines Day is our anniversary...this past one was our 25th, so it holds a very special place in my heart. I really enjoyed your project, it made me feel like our anniversary was extended just a little bit longer. :) Please come visit me at my blog, can't wait to see you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just took down the last of the Christmas decorations ... no ... I still have a couple of snowmen out ... honoring winter! I love your Valentine box ... well done! Thanks for the how to, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is positively dreamy.

    can you imagine sewing on crepe paper? yeeks. but soooooo pretty.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice box. Keep going there is always next year and I love hearts year round.
    hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely!! - and I'm so glad that you found a way to use glitter!

    Your technique for putting on the crepe paper is terrific - it looks beautiful. And the pinked edges are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  22. And you can also link up to "Show Off Your Cottage Monday" at the house in the roses... how about that! ;)

    Muy lindo tu corazon, mujer! Me encanta! Te mando un abrazo

    cielo

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's beautiful! This gives me some great ideas. I kept the chocolate box from Valentine's Day to recover:)!

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  24. I vote for hearts year-round. Cut and glue to your heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love hearts all your round. Love this box and thank you for showing me how you did that ruffled paper, I am always wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow--gorgeous! Love goes all yr long!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It turned out so pretty,, you did a wonderful job giving it a makeover.. Did not know you could sew on crepe will have to remember that...

    Hugs;
    Alaura

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always say, if the creativity is flowing, let it flow. Especially when the outcome is something this gorgeous. I love these soft, feminine hearts. They're beautiful and functional year-round.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, gorgeous! Whenever inspiration calls -- follow it!!! Thanks so much for sharing your talent at MM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful gift that would make!! More yummy than the chocolates inside!

    :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  31. That turned out great! I love the little rose on top.

    Thank you so much for linking up with the Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family, which is hosted every Tuesday. Please feel free to stop back in every week and post your newest projects!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes, I would love to get a box that looked like that! And I am just now seeing your china hutch and I"m going to click on it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a pretty heart box. Great tutorial! Love your blog. I'm going to add you to my blog list at mmtncrfts.blogspot.com
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your project! Nice work!

    I'd like to invite you to my very first Friday Favorites party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey. Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete

love to hear from you! ;}